|Department of Physics, Rm. 123 & 114, James Hall, Southern University and A&M College, Baton Rouge, LA 70813
|225-771-4130 Ext. 32
CURRENT STATUS: Tenured Professor, US Citizen
AREA OF RESEARCH:
- In Situ and Ex Situ Characterization of Ionically Conducting Materials using advanced Spectro-electrochemical Techniques.
- Development of Electrochemical Energy Conversion and Storage Devices ((LT-SOFCs, HT-PEMFCs, Li-batteries, Supercapacitors, and Solar Hydrogen)
AREA(S) OF SPECIALIZATION
- Advanced Electrodes and Electrolytes for Energy Storage (Lithium Batteries and Supercapacitors) and Conversion (Fuel cells (IT-SOFCs, and HT-PEMFCs).
- In Situ and Ex Situ Characterization of materials using advanced surface analytical (STM, TEM, SEM and XPS), X-ray Spectroscopic (EXAFS, XANES) and Spectro-electrochemical (UV-VIS-NIR, XRD, DSC, TGA, and Impedance Spectroscopy ) Techniques.
- Synthesis of Nanostructured Thin Films and Superlattices using Pulsed Laser Deposition (PLD), wet chemical, solid state, and microwave routes for making electrodes and electrolytes for Li batteries, fuel cells (PEMFCs & SOFCs), sensors, solar cells and CMOS devices.
- Photocatalysts, Solar Hydrogen and Renewable Energy.
Ph.D., 1982 Indian Institute of technology, Madras, India
MS., 1974 School of Studies in Physics, Vikram University. Ujjain,
BS., 1972 Andhra University, Waltair, India
Aug 1998 Professor of Physics,
Investigator (Scientist) of the Year-2002
Teacher of the Year-1996
Outstanding Mentor of the Year-2003
Earned Tenure at SUBR on May 15, 1991
Aug 1992‑ 1997 Associate Professor of Physics,
1994 Huel D. Perkins Teacher of the Year, SUBR
1993 College of Sciences Teacher of the Year, SUBR
Aug 1986‑Aug 1992 Asst. Professor of Physics,
Aug 1982‑Feb 1985 Lecturer in Physics, Nagarjuna University, Guntur, India
Aug 1980-July 1981 Lecturer in Physics, Gandhi Institute of Technology, Andhra University, Waltair, India
FUNDED RESERACH PROJECTS/GRANTS SUCCESSFULLY EXECUTED/COMPLETED OR CURRENT AS PRINCIPLE INVESTIGATOR/DIRECTOR SINCE 1995:
- Preparation and Characterization of Solid Electrolytes for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (DE-FG22-95MT95016).$104,242
- Thin Film Semiconductors for PV Applications (DE-05-95ER45549) $61,950
- Materials Science Research Instrumentation and Graduate Education at SUBR (NSF-ARI B839-101-7797) $294,560
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer (NREL-EARLE Program) $120,000
- XAS of Battery Materials, (DOE-SEA-CAMD beam line) B839-101-070, $108,500
- Development of Ionically Conducting Materials for Gas Phase Sensors (DE-FD03-95SF20799/A000) $27,432
- Fuel Cell Work Station, Louisiana Educational Quality Support Fund, $40,000
- Synchrotron Radiation Studies of Structure and Rechargeability Relationships in FeS2 Battery system (UC subcontract #10401, #0949) $97,560
- Solid State Thin Film Sensors (UC subcontract/LLNL) $79,600
- Thin Film Electrode-Electrolyte materials for Photoelectrochemical Cells, NREL $144,000
- Surface Morphology, Structural Integrity and Interfacial Kinetics of PbSO4 crystals during Cycling and Hydration in Lead Acid Batteries, $145,000, US. Army TACOM Center
- High Efficiency Nanostructured Thermoelectric Thin Films of Novel Skutterudites, NSF-DMR-Ceramics, $348,216 [ pending ]
- Novel Cathodes and Cathodic Catalysts for Solid State Power Sources, U.Army $667,900, [completed in 2007]
- Dense Membranes for All Perovskite IT-SOFCs, U.S-DOE-NETL, $200,000 [completed in January 2008]
- Photoelectrochemical Production of Hydrogen: PV Education and Research, U.S-DOE-NETL, $245,000 [completed in 2007]
- Supercapacitor Test Kit and PLD System for Thin Fin Hybrid Power Sources, U.S.DOD-ONR, $219,000 [Pending]
- Energy Conversion and Storage devices: Solar Energy research and Education, U.S-DOE-MURA, $200,000
- U.S-DOE-National Center for Fuel Cell Research, SR-12 Fuel Cell, $25,000
- Nanostructured Electrodes and Electrolytes for Hybrid Power Sources, U.S-DOD-ARO, $250,000 [ current]
- Nanoionic and Nanocomposite Catalysts and Polymer Electrolyte Membranes for Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Energy, U.S-DOD-AFOSR/ARO, $537,000 [current]
- Bioelectricity and Biohydrogen Production by Microbial Fuel Cells, [submitted for funding with LA-BoR $132,000]
- WATER SPLITTING CATALYSTS FOR SOLAR HYDROGEN: RENEWABLE ENERGY RESEARCH, EDUCATION, AND WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT, U.S-DOE-MURA, $360,000, pending
- Carbonized Hollow Fiber Membranes for Fuel Cell Applications, NSF-Energy for Sustainability, 378811/three years, submitted
- Advanced Core-Shell Structured Cathodes for Next Generation Lithium-ion Batteriesand Supercapacitors for U.S-NAVY -UUVs and ASW Systems, White paper approved, ONR, $600,000, submitted
- Advanced cathodes for Lithium Fuel Cell, submitted
- Nanocrystalline Anodes for Supercapacitors, submitted
* June 2003-Aug 2003
ONR-ASEE Summer Distinguished/Senior Faculty Fellow, Naval Surface Warfare Center (NWSC)-Carderock (CD). Developed a university/laboratory collaborative project entitled “High Energy Density Asymmetric (hybrid) Supercapacitor for Sonobuoys”.
* June 1995 - Aug. 1995
Physicist, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA 94550. Worked with Fiber Optic Sensor development group. Studied the Ionic Optrodes and their role in the development of fiber optic sensors.
* June 1995 - Aug. 1994
Physicist, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA-94550. Worked with Sensors group. Developed proposals for collaborative projects between Southern University and LLNL. Studied the rareearth impurities in ceria for sensor application
* May 1993 - Aug. 1993:
Member of Technical Staff, AT&T Microelectronics, Allentown, PA-18103.
Worked with Materials Development Group. Contaminations and Impurities in DC magnetron sputtered WSix films: an analytical study. AT&T TM 53825-930813-01.
* May 1992 - Aug. 1992:
Member of Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Laboratories. Allentown, PA-18103. Worked with CMOS technology development group. Involved in the process integration of .5 micron technology. Studied "Interdiffusion and Intermetallic formation of Al-Si-Cu/TiN/TiSi2/SiO2 system," Advanced Metallizations for ULSI Applications in 1993. University of California, Berkeley.
* May 1991- Aug. 1991:
Member of Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Laboratories. Allentown, PA-18103. Worked with CMOS technology development group. Involved in the process integration of .9 micron technology. Studied "Formation of multiple TiSi2 on implanted profiles, dopant effects in polysilicon and diffusion kinetics of TiSi2/Polysilicon thinfilm couples. Ref.: Journal of Electronic materials, Vol. 22. No. 7. 1993.
* May 1990 - Aug. 1990:
Member of Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Allentown, PA-18103. Worked with CMOS technology development group. Studied "Thermal Stability of TiSi2 and its impact on CMOS technologies." Also involved in the characterization of Rapid Thermally Annealed titanium films contacting silicide and non-silicide junctions. AT&T TM 52814-911608-01. Semiconductor Sci. Tech. 8(1993) 2023-2029.
* May 1989 - Aug. 1989
Research Associate, Corrosion Research Center, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota, MN. Studied "Preparation and Characterization of Solid Electrolytes for Solid state Batteries and Sensors." Ref.: Journal of Material Science, Vol. 26 (1991), 2451-2457 2).
* May 1987 - Aug. 1987:
Post Doctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA. Studied electron density distribution of metal alloys.
* March 1985 - Aug. 1986:
Post doctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of New Orleans, LA. "Crystal structure determination of some selected inorganic complexes," Ref.: Journal of Inorg. Chem. Vol. 29, 2300-2307.
* March 1977 - March 1980:
Senior Research Fellow, Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras-36, studied "Optical and Electrical Properties of Transition Metal Ions in Single Crystalline Solids
* March 1974 - March 1977:
Junior Research Fellow, CSIR. Worked on the project, "Development of Optical Memory Devices" using color centers in solids. Ref.: Phys sta sol (b) 90,465 (1978). Gained experience in the operation of analytical instruments such as Carry 14 spectrophotometer, Varian E4 ESR, XRD, TEM and SEM. Worked with crystal growth furnaces such as bridgemann and kyropolus techniques. Experience with Four point probe PROMETRIX apparatus for sheet resistance and conductivity measurements.
RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT:
Developed two research laboratories for Energy Conversion and Storage Devices(1.Solid State Ionics 2. Surface Science and Spectroscopy) and to enhance the graduate education and materials research at Southern University.
FACULTY ADVISOR [MINORITY UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH ASSOCIATES (MURA)
Supported and trained over 120 undergraduate, 10 graduate (MS) and 2 Ph.D. students. On an average, six undergraduate students present their work (oral and posters) every year in one of the annual U.S-DOE-NETL, U.S-DOE-LLNL, U.S-DOE-NREL- REAP, NSBP, and NSF-LAMP conferences held in various graduate schools across the country. Since 1994, every year at least one or two advises have been recognized in these conferences.
EXPERIENCE IN SERVICE LEARNING, EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS AND RESEARCH COLLABORATIONS WITH NATIONAL LABORATORIES AND INDUSTRY
EXPERIENCE IN SERVICE LEARNING, EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS AND RESEARCH COLLABORATIONS WITH NATIONAL LABORATORIES AND INDUSTRY
* Howard Hughes Biomedical Precollege and Outreach, Instructor, 1994- present
* NASA 2000 -SECTS, Instructor and Advisory Council Member, 1998
- Dixon Correctional Institute, Instructor, 1990-1994. Center for Service learning-98
- Committee member to recruit Ph.D. students in science/mathematics education
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 1994- present [ Kennedy Reed Ph.D.]
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 1996-present [ Robert McConnel Ph.D.]
- AT&T Bell Laboratories/Lucent Technologies, 1990 -present [ S. Chittipeddi Ph.D.,]
- Dow Chem Company, Plaquemine, 1993-present [ Stephen Noding Ph.D.]
- Center for Advanced Microstructures and Devices (CAMD) [ Josef Hormes Ph.D., ]
- Advanced Electrochemical Power Sources Laboratory, NAVSEA-CARDEROCK, Patricia H. Smith Ph.D.,
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Kevin Smith Ph.D.,
- Fisk University, Warren Eugene Collins Ph.D.,
- University of West Indies-Trindad, Quality Assurance Committee Chair, Department of Physics
- Our Lady of the Lake College, [January 2008-present]
RESEARCH ASSOCIATES with PH.D degree WORKED IN MY FUNDED PROJECTS AT SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY SINCE 1994
Sambasiva Rao Nannapaneni
Edwin Walker (Faculty Member)
Terrence L Resse (Faculty Member)
Venkateswara Rao Chitturi
- Javier Parrondo
- Santhanam Raman
- Kevin langry
BELOW ARE SELECTED PUBLICATIONS IN PHYSICS, IN EDUCATION, AND OTHERS
Click here to edit publications
Physics Publications: 66. Research Progress in High Voltage Spinel LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 Material. R. Santhanam, B. Rambabu. Journal of Power Sources. 196. (2010).
65. Influence of lithium content on high rate cycleability of layered Li1+xNi0.30Co0.30Mn0.40O2 cathodes for high power lithium-ion batteries. R. Santhanama, Philip Jones, Adusumilli Sumanaa and B. Rambabu. Journal of Power Sources. Volume 195, Issue 21, Pages 7391-7396. (2010).
64. Nanocrystalline LiCrTiO4 as anode for asymmetric hybrid supercapacitor. Ch.V.Rao, and B. Rambabu. Solid State Ionics. Vol. 181, 839 - 843. (2010).
63. Reduction of V4+ from V5+ using polymer as a surfactant for electrochemical applications. V S Reddy Channu1, Rudolf Holze1, B. Rambabu 2, Rajamohan R. Kalluru3, Quinton L. Williams3. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci.. Vol 5, Pages 605-614. (2010).
62. Effect of Ball Milling on the Electrochemical Performance of Li1.02Ni0.4Co0.2Mn0.4O2 Cathode Synthesized by Citric Acid- Assisted Sol-Gel Process. R. Santhanam, Sundara. L. Ghatty, B. Rambabu. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. Vol 5. (2010).
61. Electrochemical Performance Measurements of PBI-Based High Temperature PEMFCs. Javier Parrondo, Ch. Venkateswara Rao, Sundara L. Ghatty, and B. Rambabu. Int. Journal of Electrochemistry. (2010).
60. High temperature polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell performance of PtxCoy/C cathodes. Ch.V., Parrondo, J., Ghatty, S. L., Rambabu, B.. J. Power Sources . Vol 195, 3425. (2010).
59. Platinum/tin oxide/carbon cathode catalyst for high temperature PEM fuel cell . Parrondo, J., Mijangos, F., Rambabu, B. J. Power Sources. 195,13 3977-3983. (2010).
58. Electrocatalytic Performance of In2O3-Supported Pt/C Nanoparticles for Ethanol Electro-oxidation in Direct Ethanol Fuel Cells. Javier Parrondo1, R. Santhanam1, Federico Mijangos2, B. Rambabu1. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci.. Vol 5, 1342-1354. (2010).
57. Poly(vinyl alcohol) based nanocomposite membranes for PEMFC and DMFC applications. Thanganathan*1, Javier Parrondo2, Rambabu Bobba. Journal of Physcial Chemsitry. (2010).
56. Electrochemical performance of LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 prepared by improved solid state method as cathode in hybrid supercapacitor. Huiming Wu, Ch. Venkateswara Rao, B. Rambabu. Journal of Materials Chemistry and Physics. Volume 116, Issues 2-3, Pages 532-535. (2009).
55. Structural and proton transport studies on nanocrystalline [Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2] (HAp), HAp-Nafion® composite, and natural human bone . H. Jena , Ch. Venkateswara Rao , Fannie Posey Eddy 2 Jonathan Dooley , B. Rambabu. Physica Status Solidi. Vol 206, Pages 2536-2541. (2009).
54. An exploratory study on solution assisted synthetic routes to prepare nano-crystalline La1-xMxGa1-yNyO3 (M=Sr, N=Mn,Mg) for IT-SOFC applications. Hrudananda Jena and B. Rambabu, Mater. Chem. Phys.Volume 101, Issue 1, 15 January 2007, Pages 20-29. (2007).
53. Innovative Processing 0f dense LSGM electrolytes for IT-SOFCs, B. Rambabu, Samrat Ghosh, Weichang Zhao, Hrudananda Jena, Journal of Power Sources 159 (2006) 21-28. (2006).
52. Nanocrystalline TiO2 (anatase) for Li-ion batteries, V. Subramaina, A. Karki, K. I. Gnanasekar, Fanney Posey Eddy, B. Rambabu, Journal of Power Sources 159 (2006) 186-12. (2006).
51. Effect of sonochemical, regenerative sol gel, and microwave assisted synthesis techniques on the formation of dense electrolytes and porous electrodes for all perovskite IT-SOFCs. Hrudananda Jena and B.Rambabu, Accepted in Fourth Internacional ASME (American Society for Mechanical Engineers) Conference on Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology, Irving, Califernia, USA, June19-21, 2006. (Accepted for publication ASME, Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, paper # FUELCELL2006-97262).. (2006).
50. Novel wet-chemical synthesis and characterization of nanocrystalline CeO2 and Ce0.8Gd0.2O1.9 as solid electrolyte for intermediate temperature solid oxide fuel cell (IT-SOFC) applications, B.Rambabu, Samrat Ghosh and Hrudananda Jena, J. Mater. Sci.Volume 41,Number 22, November 2006 , pp. 7530-7536(7). (2006).
49. Cycling behavior of LiNixCoyMn2?x?yO4 prepared by solgel route Solid State Ionics, Volume 175, Issues 1-4, 30 November 2004, Pages 291-295 , A. Manuel Stephan, N.G. Renganathan, S. Gopukumar, V. Subramanian and Rambabu Bobba. (2004).
48. Synthesis and electrochemical properties of submicron LiNi0.5Co0.5O2 , Solid State Ionics, Volume 175, Issues 1-4, 30 November 2004, Pages 315-318 , V. Subramanian, Kishor Karki and B. Rambabu. (2004).
47. Mesoporous anhydrous RuO2 as a supercapacitor electrode material Solid State Ionics, Volume 175, Issues 1-4, 30 November 2004, Pages 511-515 , V. Subramanian, Sean C. Hall, Patricia H. Smith and B. Rambabu. (2004).
46. Influence of metalsupport interaction in Pt/C on CO and methanol oxidation reactions Solid State Ionics, Volume 175, Issues 1-4, 30 November 2004, Pages 809-813 , Sean C. Hall, V. Subramanian, Glenn Teeter and B. Rambabu. (2004).
45. Mesoporosu SnO2 synthesized with non ionic surfactants as an anode material for Li-ion Batteries, V. Subramananian, Patricia H. Smith, and B. Rambabu, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Vol 4; No 2, p 130-136, 2004. (2004).
44. Nano Fe2O3: a promising anode material for Li-ion Batteries, V. Subramanian, Carahma J. Quiett, and B. Rambabu, submitted to Journal of Materials Chemistry, 2004. (2004).
43. Role of Grain Boundaries in Exceptionally H2 Sensitive Highly Oriented Laser Ablated Thin Films of SnO2, K.I.Gnanasekar, Kevin C. Langry, B. Rambabu, Journal of Electrochemical Society , 1-10, 2002. (2004).
42. Nanocrystalline SnO2 and In-doped SnO2 as anode materials for lithium batteries Solid State Ionics, Volume 175, Issues 1-4, 30 November 2004, Pages 181-184 V. Subramanian, K.I. Gnanasekar and B. Rambabu. (2004).
41. Solid State NMR and XANES Studies of Lithium Silicate and Silver Silicate Gels, Anthony Mrse, Pam Bryant, Charles wayne, Josef Hormes, Les Butler and B. Rambabu, Journal of Non Crystalline Solids, 2003. (2003).
40. Unusual high sensitivity in highly oriented laser ablated thin films of SnO2 on (1102) sapphire and (100) LaAlO3, K.I.Gnanasekar, B. Rambabu and Kevin C. Langry, EPJ Applied Physics, 2002. (2002).
39. Nanostructured sensor grade Sn1-xInxO2, K.I.Gnanasekar, X. Xin, J.C.Jiang Deryn Chu, and B. Rambabu Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Vol 2; No 2, 2002. (2002).
38. Direct consolidation of TiO2 sol into TiO2 anatase at 85 0C, K.I.Gnanasekar, J.C.Jiang, Eddy Fannie Possey, and B. Rambabu, Journal of Materials Research, 2002. (2002).
37. Preparation and Structural Characterization of Highly Oriented Nanostructured Thin Films of LiCo1-xNixO2 for High Power Density Applications, K.I.Gnanasekar, V, Subramanian, J.C.Jiang and B.Rambabu, Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 2002. (2002).
36. Nanostructured Bulk and Thin Films of LaSrMnO3, K.I. Gnanasekar, Xin Xiang, Josef Hormes, Ronald Tilts Worth, Mher and B. Rambabu, Solid State Ionics 148 (2002) 575-581. (2002).
35. Nanostructured LiCoNiO2 Cathode for Li ion Batteries, K.I.Gnanasekar, Cathrino Henri, Anthony Nrse, and B. Rambabu, Solid State Ionics 148 (2002) 299-309. (2002).
34. Basic and Research Training for the new Miliiennium: The Model of the Timbuktu Academy, Diola Bagayoko, B. Rambabu, E.L.Kelly, Journal of Materials Education Vol. 24 (1-3), 177-184. (2002).
33. Structural characterization and transport studies of AgI-Ag2O-(MoO3 + As2O5) glass system, N. Satyanarayana, A. Karthikeyan, and B. Rambabu, Phys. Chem. Glasses, 2001, 42(1).. (2001).
32. A study of methanol electro -oxidation reactions in carbon membrane electrodes and structural properties of Pt alloy electrocatalysts by EXAFS, Tameka Page, R. Johnson, J. Hormes, S. Noding and B. Rambabu, Journal of Electroanalytical Cemistry 485 (2000) 34-41. (2000).
31. X-ray Absorption Near Edge Spectroscopy (XANES) measurements of ceria based solid electrolytes, J. Hormes, B Balazas and B. Rambabu, Solid State Ionics 2 (2000) 390-399 ,. (2000).
30. Preparation, characterization and impedance studies on the superionic conducting AgI-Ag2O-CrO3-V2O5 glassy system, N.Satyanarayana, M.Venkateswarlu and B.Rambabu, Solid State Ionics, 136-137 (2000) 1097-1100. (2000).
29. Transport Properties and Battery Performance Studies of AgI-Ag2O-Se2O-P2O5, N. Satyanarayana and B. Rambabu, J. of Power Sources, 85 (2000) 224-228.. (2000).
28. Sol -gel synthesis and characterization of the Ag2O -SiO2 , N. Satyanaryana, Xiaogang and B. Rambabu, Materials Science and Engineering B 72 (2000) 7-12. (2000).
27. A.C. Conductivity and dielectric studies of silver based fast ion conducting galss system, M. Venkateswarlu, N. Satyanarayana and B. Rambabu, Solid State Ionics 127 (2000) 177-184. (2000).
26. X-ray Absorption Near Edge Spectroscopy (XANES) and Ionic Conductivity studies of rareearth dopants in CeO2, J. Hormes, Bryan Balazas and B. Rambabu, oral presentation in the 12th International Conference on Solid State Ionics, Greece, June 6-12, 1999, Journal of Solid State Ionics -1999. Ed. C. G. Vayenas, Journal of Solid State Ionics, SSI 12, Vol 136, 1-11, 2000. (2000).
25. A study of methanol electro- oxidation reactions in carbon membrane electrodes and structural properties of Pt alloy electrocatalysts by EXAFS, Tameka page, R. Johnson, J.Hormes, S.Noding, and B. Rambabu, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 485 (2000) 34-41. (2000).
24. Sol -gel Synthesis and characterization of the Ag2O -SiO2 system, N. Satyanarayana, Xianogang and B. Rambabu, Materials Science & Engineering B 72 (2000) 7-12. (2000).
23. Transport Properties and Battery Performance Studies of AgI-Ag2O-Se2O-P2O5, M. Venkateswarlu, N. Satyanarayana and B. Rambabu, Journal of Power Sources, 85 (2000) 224-228. (2000).
22. a.c conductivity and dielectric studies of silver based fast ion conducting glass system, M. Venkateswarlu, B. Rambabu and N. Satyanrayana, Journal of Solid State Ionics, 127 (2000) 177 -184.. (2000).
21. Ionic Optrodes: Role in Fiber Optic Chemical Sensors, Kevin Langry and B. Rambabu, Journal of Chemical and Biotechnology, 74-8: 1-16 (1999) ISSN 0268-2582. (1999).
20. Effect of low temperature synthesis on the structural and electrochemical properties of lithium silicate dried gells, N. Satyanarayana, B. Rambabu, oral presentation in the 12th International Conference on Solid State Ionics , Greece, June 6-12, 1999, Journal of Solid State Ionics -1999. Ed: C.G.Vayenas.. (1999).
19. Structural and Electrochemical Studies of Ionomeric Membranes and Carbon Supported Catalysts for DMFCs, B. Rambabu, J. Hormes, H. Modrow, and S. Noding, 38th Power Sources Conference, 8-11 June 1998, pp 447-480. (1998).
18. Design, Fabrication and Characterization of Solid State Batteries Made Up of Silverselenophosphate Glassy Materials, N. Satyanarayana, and B. Rambabu,38th Power Sources Conference, 8-11 June 1998, pp 390-394. (1998).
17. Methanol Crossover in DMFCs: T. Page, L Shamona, S, Noding, J. Hormes, and B. Rambabu, presented in 11th International Conference on Solid State Ionics, Nov 16-22, Hawaii, www@Hawii.ssi-11-edu. Solid State Ionics, August-1998.. (1998).
16. X-ray Absorption Spectra Near Edge Structure ( XANES ) of CdTe and ZnTe:Cu thin films for Solar Cells, Hartwig Modrow, J.Hormes, and B.Rambabu, AIP Proceedings on Photovoltaic Technologies, NREL, Denver, Co. March 1997. (1997).
15. Experimental Thin Film Deposition and Surface Analysis Techniques, B. Rambabu and W.Eugene Collins, Materials for Solid State Batteries, World Scientific Publishing Co, Singapore, pp 83-90, 1996 Ed: B.V.R.Chowdari and S.Radhakrishna. (1996).
14. Contaminations and Impurities in DC Magnetron Sputtered WSix films, B. Rambabu and M.J.Sundhal, Physica. Stat. Solidi(a). 147, 477. (1995).
13. Integrity of Shallow Junction CMOS Structures with Ti/TiN/Al-Si-Cu and Ti/TiN/Al-Cu Contact Metalizations. S.Chittipeddi et al, W.T.Cochran, and B.Rambabu, Advanced metalizations for ULSI applications in 1993, UC, Oct 5-7, 1993, Solid State Electronics Vol 38, No 12, pp 2035-2040, 1995. (1995).
12. Effect of Rapid Thermally Nitrided Titanium Films contacting silicided and nonsilicided junctions. S.Chittipeddi, M.J.Kelly, C.M.Dziuba, V.C.Kannan, W.T.Cochran and B.Rambabu*. Journal of Elect. Materials Vol 22, No 7, 1993. (1993).
11. Effect of Dopants in Salicided Titanium Disilicided CMOS Structures: S.Chittipeddi, W.T.Cochran, and B.Rambabu: Semic. Sci.& Technol. 8(1993) 2023-2029.. (1993).
10. Silver Arsenate Electrolyte Batteries: Conduction Characteristics and Electrochemical Performance: P.S.S.Prasad and B.Rambabu. J. of Power Sources. Vol.34, 339352, 1991. (1991).
9. Fast Ion Conducting Glasses: Effect of preparation on conductivity and correlation with surface analysis using Scanning Electron Microscopy: P.S.S.Prasad and B.Rambabu. Journal of Material Science. Vol 26, 2451247,1991.. (1991).
8. Compositional dependent electrical conductivity in Silver Arsenite Solid Electrolytes: P.S.S.Prasad and B.Rambabu, Journal of Mat. Sci. Letters, Vol.9, 10661070, 1990. (1990).
7. Binuclear Molecular Incorporating Small Molecules as Bridging Ligands: magnetic and structural properties, Charles J, O Conner et al and B. Rambabu, J. of Inorganic Chemistry, Vol 25, No 14, 2300-2310, 1986. (1986).
6. Radiation Damage studies of transition metal dopants in Alkali Halides, B.Rambabu and B.V.R.Chowdary, Nuclear Inst & Methods, 356, ACN 462-468, 1984. (1984).
5. Radiation Effects on Co and Ni doped NH4Cl Crystals, B. Rambabu, C. ramasastry amd B.V.R.Chowdary, Phys. Stat Solidi(b) 118, 381, 1983. (1983).
4. Cobalt Centers in Ammonium Chloride: optical absorption studies, B. Rambabu, C.Ramasastry and B.V.R.Chowdary, Phys. Stat. Solidi(b) 118,381, 1983. (1983).
3. Optical Absorption bands of Cu:CsBr crystals, B. Rambabu, C.Ramasastry and B.V.R.Chowdari, Phys. Stat. Solidi(b) 90, 465, 1978.. (1978).
2. Thermal Stability of TiSi2 and its Impact in CMOS Technologies, B. Rambabu, and S. Chittipeddi et al, AT&T Technical Memorandum, Document No. 52814-911608-01TM, Project 23991-1101
1. Contaminations and Impurities in DC magnetron sputtered WSix films on SiO2: An analytical study, B. Rambabu and M. J. Sundhal et al, AT&T Technical Memorandum No 53825-930813, Project No. 23991-5555
51. XAS as a method to investigate doped and undoped CdTe and ZnTe thin Films for Solar Cells, B Rambabu, Josef Hormes and Hartwig Modrow, International Conference on Future Photovoltaic Technologies. NREL, Colarado, April 1997.. (1997).
50. XAS study of Polymers, J. Hormes and B. Rambabu, International Conference on Synchrotron Radiation, University of Windsor, Ca, June 1997.. (1997).
49. Effects of Hydrogen on the Material Properties of r-f Sputtered ZnTe:Cu Thin Films, T.A.Gessert, H.Modrow, P.Wilson, B.Rambabu and J.Hormes, J Vacuume Sci.&Technol A. accepted for publication, Oct 1997. (1997).
48. Effect of NOx in Metallic Single Crystals, Heike Geisler and B. Rambabu, Fifth Annual HBCU/Private Sector Energy Research and Development Technology Symposium, March 2-4, 1997. (1997).
47. Porus Si and Photovoltaic Materials: Synchrotron Radiation Studies, Kevin Muhammad and B Rambabu, Fifth Annual HBCU/Private Sector Energy Research and Development Technology Symposium, March 2-4, 1997. (1997).
46. Fuel Cell Research Project: Southern University-Dow Chemical Company, USA, B. Rambabu and Stephan Noding, Fifth Annual HBCU/Private Sector Energy Research and Development Technology Symposium, March 2-4, 1997. (1997).
45. Methanol Crossover in DMFCs, Y. Xue, Tameka Page, H. Modrow, and J. Hormes, and B. Rambabu, 11th International Conference on Solid State Ionics, University of Hawaii, Hawaii, Nov 16-23, 1997.. (1997).
44. A.C Conductivity and Dielectric Studies of Silverselenovanadate Glasses, N. Satyanarayana and B. Rambabu, 11th International Conference on Solid State Ionics, University of Hawaii, Hawaii, Nov 16-23, 1997.. (1997).
43. Characterization of Silverselenophosphate Glasses, N. Satyanarayana and B. Rambabu, 11th International Conference on Solid State Ionics, University of Hawaii, Hawaii, Nov 16-23, 1997.. (1997).
42. Environmental Sensors, R Muhammad and B. Rambabu, DOE-FETC conference, Baton Rouge, 1997,. (1997).
41. Fuel Cells, Monnica Monn Prier and B. Rambabu, DOE-FETC conference, Baton Rouge, March 1997. (1997).
40. Photovoltaic Modules, Tameka Page and B. Rambabu, DOE-FETC conference, Baton Rouge, 1997.. (1997).
39. XANES Study of CdTe and ZnTe Thin Films, B. Rambabu, Yang Wu, and Katrina Carter, NSBP annual conference, LBL, Berkeley, CA. April 1997.. (1997).
38. Cobalt Centers in NH4Cl. B. Rambabu and B.V.R.Chowdary, International Conf. on Insulating Crystals. Gattlenberg, TN. May 1977.. (1997).
37. Solid Electrolytes for Fuel Cells and Battery Applications, S. Hasan, J. LeBlanc, T.George and B. Rambabu, Fourth Annual HBCU/Private Sector Energy Research and Development Technology Symposium, p 15-25, April 2-4, 1996, North Corolina A&T State University, Greensboro.. (1996).
36. Structural Studies of Cathode and Electrolyte Materials, B. Rambabu, V. Young, and T. Wang, Science and Technology at CAMD, The 1996 workshop, p 328-344, April 8-9, 1996.. (1996).
35. Synchrotron Radiation Studies of Structure and Rechargeability relationships in Li ion Batteries, B. Rambabu, Lumamba Barlow and N. S.Rao, 37th Power Sources Conference, June 16-17, 1996, Cherry Hill, NJ.. (1996).
34. Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, Timothy George and B. Rambabu, NASA-AREP workshop, Southern University, Spring 1996.. (1996).
33. In Situ Fe and S K absorption Spectra of Li/SPE/FeS2 battery system, accepted for publication in Journal of Solid State Ionics, May 1996. B. Rambabu. (1996).
32. Molecular Forces, Chemical Bonds, and Molecular Structure in Biological Media, B. Rambabu and Exyie Ryder, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, precollege and outreach program, Southern University, June 1995.. (1995).
31. Effect of Ionic Radius on the Structural Properties of rare-earth trivalent impurities in Ceria, Charles LeJune Jr, and B. Rambabu, 10th International Conference on Solid State Ionics, NSU, Singapore, Dec 3-8, 1995. Pp 555. (1995).
30. A Study of Oxidation States in LiMnO2 and LiCoO2, B. Rambabu , T. Wang, Paul D. Hilliard, 10th International Conference on Solid State Ionics, NSU, Singapore, Dec 3-8, 1995, p213.. (1995).
29. Effect of ionic Radius on Structural Properties of Rareearth Doped Ceria, accepted for presentation in 10th International Conference in Solid State Ionics, Dec 1995. B. Rambabu. (1995).
28. Interdiffusion, Intermetallic Formation and Integrity of Multilayered Thin Film Shallow Junction CMOS Structures, B. Rambabu, S. Chttipeddi, and C. W. Wilkins, HBCU workshop on the Physics of Materials and Material Science, Sponsored by DOE/Division of Materials Science, Morgan State University and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Washington DC, Oct 13-15, 1994.. (1994).
27. Photonics: Its Scope, Need, Supply and Demand in Emerging Undergraduate Education in 21st Century, Perry L. Walker, Isiaka Akanbi and B. Rambabu, proceedings of the Gulf Southwest Meeting, Southern University, March 24-25, Vol 2, pp 683-692, 1994.. (1994).
26. Propagation of Pressure Waves in a Synchrotron Radiation Beamline: A study of ADL, Keith H. Jackson, D. Prier, and B. Rambabu, 17th annual meeting of the NSBP and XX1 day of lectures, April 20-23, 1994, State University of New Jersey, Rutgers, Newark.. (1994).
25. Structural and Compositional Analysis of WSix Thin Films using X-ray Diffraction and Rutherford Backscattering Spectrometry, Lakindra Francis and B. Rambabu.17th annual meeting of the NSBP and XX1 day of lectures, April 20-23, 1994, State University of New Jersey, Rutgers, Newark.. (1994).
24. Development of Ionically Conducting Marterials for gas phase sensors and fuel cells. Rambabu Bobba( SUBR), Brayan Balazas, and R. Glass (LLNL), UCRL-AR-123882, The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Research Collaborations program for HBCUs, 1994-1995 report, p 61-65, edited by Kennedy Reed. (1994).
23. Design of Acoustic Delay Line for the Advanced Light Source at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, D. Prier, B. Rambabu and Keith Jackson, The procedings of the Louisiana Academy of Sciences, Vol 57, 1994, pp 42. (1994).
22. Surface Characterization of DC Magnetron Sputtered WSix films with RBS, SIMS, and TEM techniques. B. Rambabu and E. Patterson, The proceedings of the Louisiana Academy of Sciences, vol 57, 1994, pp43. (1994).
21. Interdiffusion in Multilayered Thin Film CMOS Structures: principles, effects, and applications, D.Prier and B. Rambabu, Proceedings of the 16th Annual NSBP meeting and 2oth day of Scientific Lectures of the National Society of Black Physicists, pp 110-117, 1993, Florida A&M University, TL, Florida.. (1993).
20. Thermal Stability Studies of Shallow Junction CMOS Structures with Ti/TiN/Al-Si-Cu and Metallizations for ULSI Applications in 1993, Oct 5-7, 1993, B. Rambabu, V.C. Kannan and S. Chittipeddi, Continuing Education in Engineering, University of California, Berkeley.. (1993).
19. Experimental Study of Phase Conzugate Optics based upon Degenerate Four Wave Interactions with He-Ne Laser, B.Cox, and B. Rambabu, the Procedings of the Louisiana Academy of Sciences, Vol 56, 1993, 41. (1993).
18. Thin Film reactions in multilayered Al/Silicide/SiO2 CMOS structures, B. Rambabu, S. Chittipeddi and A. Richard, the proceedings of the Louisiana Academy of Sciences, vol 56, 1993. (1993).
17. Efficient Erbium Doped Fiber Amplifier Pumped at 820 nm, Simpson J, B. Cox and B. Rambabu, the proceedings of the Louisiana Academy of Sciences, vol 56, 1993, p40. (1993).
16. Microstructural Studies of TiSi2 on Polycrystalline Si in Salicide, B. Rambabu and Dionne Frankline, Proceedings of the XIX day of scientific lectures and 15th annual meeting of NSBP, P 68-71.April 29- May 2, 1992, Jackson State University, Jackson, MS.. (1992).
15. Microstructural studies of TiSi2 on Polycrystalline Si in Salicide. B.Rambabu and Dionne Franklin. Proc. National Society of Black Physicists 15th annual work shop, JSU 1992, pp. 68-75.. (1992).
14. Thermal Stability of TiSi2 and its impact in CMOS twin tub technologies. B.Rambabu and S.Chittipeddi, M.J. Kelly and W.T.Cochran. AT&T Technical Memorandum 52814-911608-01 1991.. (1991).
13. Optical and Electrical Studies of fast ion conducting arsenate and molybdo tungstate glasses. B.Rambabu and W. E. Collins, proceedings of the Louisiana Academy of Sciences Conference. Vol. 53 , 1990.. (1990).
12. Experimental Surface Science probe techniques and their applications to Material Characterization: B.Rambabu and W.E.Collins, Proc. of International Congress on recent developments in Air Borne Sound and Vibration. Auburn University Publication Series, Auburn Univ., AL. March 6-8, pp.625-634, 1990.. (1990).
11. Optical and Electrical Properties of Silver Arsenate Molybdo-Tungstate Glasses. B.Rambabu and W.E.Collins. 64th Annual Meeting, Louisiana Academy of Sciences. Southern Univ., Baton Rouge, LA. Feb. 1990.. (1990).
10. Rutherford back-scattering on Nickel. Linda Lars, B.Rambabu and W.E.Collins, NSBP Annual Conf. Proceedings, Florida A&M Univ., TL. 1986.. (1986).
9. Ion Scattering Experiment in Ni(110) surface. Brian Nicholas, W.E.Collins and B.Rambabu. NSBP Annual Conf.Proc., Florida A&M Univ., TL. 1986. (1986).
8. Cobalt Centers in Ammonium Chloride: optical absorption studies. Physica Status Solidi(b) 118, 541 (1983). B.Rambabu, C.Ramasastry and B.V.R.Chowdari.. (1983).
7. Radiation Effects on Co and Ni doped NH4Cl crystals. Second International Conf. on Radiation Effects in insulators. May 30 - June 3, 1983. Alburquerque, New Mexico. B.Rambabu, C.Ramasastry and B.V.R.Chowdari.. (1983).
6. Radiation damage studies of Co and Ni doped NH4Cl crystals. Physica Status Solidi(b) 118, 381 (1983). B.Rambabu, C.Ramasastry and B.V.R.Chowdari.. (1983).
5. Optical absorption of Cu, Co and Ni ions in single crystals of CsCl structure. Doctoral Dissertation, Microfilms, IIT, Madras. 1982.. (1982).
4. Optical Absorption bands of Cu: CsBr crystals. Physica Status Solidi(b) 90, 465 (1978). B.Rambabu, C.Ramasastry and B.V.R.Chowdari.. (1978).
3. Off Center Cu: CsBr. Proc. of International Conf. on Insulating Crystals. Gattlenberg, TN, USA, May 1977.. (1977).
2. Experimental Surface Science probe Techniques and their applications to Material Characterization, B. Rambabu. International Congress on recent developments in air and structure borne sound and vibration, March 6-8, 1991, Vol 2, pp 652-634, Ed. Malcom J. Cracker, Vol 2, Auburn University, USA
1. Interdiffusion and Intermetallic formation in multilayered structure Al-Si-Cu/TiN/TiSi2/SiO2. To be submitted for publication in the Journal of Applied Physics B.Rambabu and C.M. Dziuba, S.Chittipeddi and W.T.Cochran. AT&T TM 53818-930813-01.
SUMMARY OF TEACHING EXPERIENCE: RAMBABU BOBBA
I have been teaching or taught the following courses in the Department of Physics
- Solid State Physics (472), 2. Quantum Mechanics (435), 3. Modern Physics (271), 4. General Physics (221 and 222) ( Lecture, Recitation and Laboratories) 5. Elementary Physics (141), 6. Earth Science (201 and 202), 7. Physical Science (101 and 102) and 8. Special Problems in Physics.
- I have been teaching in this University since Fall 1986 and have taught large number of students ( over 150 students per semester ) in non science, science and engineering curriculums. During my tenure at Southern University, I have come across the best and brightest, underprivileged, and even incarcerated individuals who are enrolled in the College courses. My approach in teaching is to reach the level of the student at the beginning and pull him or her to higher level of thinking in order to solve the problems. An evidence to justify the fact can be seen from the student reports.
- Developed Physical science course syllabus for LaSIP proposal using critical thinking skills and strategies. Involved in the on going educational reforms at Southern University. Teaching Physics for students in Howard Hughes Biomedical pre College and Out reach Program. I was involved in developing the SEA summer workshop for science teachers in Louisiana.
- I have the opportunity to guide the students for their term papers, undergraduate research projects and introducing them to research and summer employment. My objective is to involve, motivate and prepare our students for the graduate schools and for employment in national laboratories and industrial organizations. On an average two of my students every academic year since 1986 presented their work in national conferences.
- I am actively involved in the development of MS program in physics at Southern University. I have developed syllabus for five courses to be taught in the Department of Physics. ( enclosed Graduate Program Chairmen’s letter )
** Prior to the initial employment at Southern University, I have served as a faculty member equivalent to the rank of Assistant Professor for over five years ( 1980-1985) in Gandhi Institute of Technology and Management and Nagarjuna University, India. During that period, I have developed freshmen and sophomore Physics laboratories for engineering curriculum and taught 1. Electromagnetic Fields and Waves 2. Heat and Thermodynamics 3. Sound 4. Light 5. Electricity and Magnetism and 6. General Physics courses.