The department was founded in the Fall of 1959. Mr. Charles Pugh was appointed the chairperson, Mrs. Eloise W. Young was the secretary and four faculty member. The department was first housed in a section of Fisher Hall for a few years. It was then moved to the 1st floor of Lee Hall. Then in early 1972 after the completion of William James Hall, the department with Dr. Joseph A. Johnson as the chairman and twelve full time faculty was moved to the present facilities occupying most of the 1st and 2nd floors of James Hall.